Thursday, April 26, 2018

Line Mar Match Box Construction 085 Winding Hoist

I found a Line Mar Match Box Construction Set from the 1930s, complete and with instructions. The box claimed the set made 100 different toys. I decided to test that claim -- one toy at a time. You can read all the posts for the Line Mar construction project at 100 Toys.

085. Winding Hoist

Without a doubt, this was one of the most difficult builds in the series. Once again, the illustrator took some liberties. The block and tackle assembly is not as compact as it appears in the drawing. 

And the dowels can't be extended as far as they're shown. This is a very fragile construction that could take no strain at all. 

I extended the upright dowels further into the base for additional stability, but they were still pulled back by the strain of the string. When I prepared the shot, the crosspiece was even with the top of the dowels. By the time I focused the camera, the weight of the block and tackle had pulled it downwards.

I was happy it held together long enough (in some fashion) to take the photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment