Thursday, March 15, 2018

Line Mar Match Box Construction 079 - Ladder Wagon

I found a Line Mar Match Box Construction Set from the 1930s, complete and with instructions. The box claimed the set made 100 different toys. I decided to test that claim -- one toy at a time. You can read all the posts for the Line Mar construction project at 100 Toys.

079. Ladder Wagon

This was another toy that was impossible to build as illustrated. That long handle shows two fve-hole strips joined together, with two additional five-hole strips providing the base for the posts on the wagon body. 

The set only has two five-hole strips. I chose to use them for the posts, and made the handle from the two three-hole strips. And of course, the set doesn't have any dowel short enough to secure both strips and be flush with the fiberboard collars. 

As I've noted in previous builds, there isn't a dowel short enough to fit between the two cubes to secure the handle. For the 077 Hand Wagon, I just squeezed the handle between the cubes. This time, I ran a dowel between the cubes for the handle. The dowels that secure the cubes to the wagon body only extend a little way into the cubes, blocked by that handle dowel. 

The illustration makes it appear that those stakes are securely fastened to the wagon body. Not so. The five-hole strips don't exend far enough over the sides of the wagon. Those holes that the stakes sit on are only as deep as the strips. I could place the stakes on the holes. If I moved the wagon, they all tumbled over. 



No comments:

Post a Comment