Thursday, February 01, 2018

Line Mar Match Box Construction 073 - One Wheel Conveyer

I found a Line Mar Match Box Construction Set from the 1930s, complete and with instructions. The box claimed the set made 100 different toys. I decided to test that claim -- one toy at a time. You can read all the posts for the Line Mar construction project at 100 Toys.

073. One Wheel Conveyer


This series went on an unexpected hiatus for a few months. November and December of 2017 proved to be exceptionally busy. Plus, the constructions have become increasingly complex. It all added up to missed deadlines.

But we're back on track, and I hope to maintain the weekly post schedule thoughout the remainder of the project.

The one wheel conveyer was an exceptionally difficult toy to construct. The illustration shows all the dowels at right angles to the braces. Reality proved quite different.

If I could have used a single dowel to run through the block, then the model would have more closely resembled the drawing. But that was impossible. 

First, I'm limiting myself to only the pieces provided by the set. No dowel of the proper length was included. Second, the small dowel holding the pulley assembly bisects the block. That prohibits threading a single dowel through the other ends -- even if I did have one of the right length. 

In the end, I was able to have the piece hold together long enough to photograph -- but only just. 



No comments:

Post a Comment