Monday, July 24, 2017

Diabelli Project 157 - Piano Piece

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This week's sketch started with the bass. Once the dotted eighth-sixteen/eighth-eighth pattern popped into my head, I was ready to go. If I were to work on this further, I would probably change the interval leaps in the left hand.

All of these flash compositions are done with just pen and paper -- no piano or other musical instrument allowed to check pitches or harmonies. Part of the challenge is to accurately write down what I hear in my head unfiltered.

In this case, what I heard wasn't quite as it turned out when I checked it at the piano later. The bass seems a little too close to movie cowboy music for my taste.



As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment