Friday, November 04, 2016

Line Mar Match Box Construction 026 Walker

I found a Line Mar Match Box Construction Set from the 1930s, complete and with instructions. The box claimed the set made 100 different toys. I decided to test that claim -- one toy at a time. You can read all the posts for the Line Mar construction project at 100 Toys.

026 - Walker

No, I don't think he's a Texas Ranger. This turned out to be a tricky build. The toy itself is quite stable, with the legs attached to a common base.

Most of the construction was straightforward. Push a dowel through the steel box, attach the arms, and secure with collars. Push the second dowel through the box, attach the legs, and secure with collars.

But then there was the head. As you can see from the photo (left), the dowel holding the head can only go down so far into the body. It's blocked by the dowel holding the arms.

Ideally, I should have placed another collar on the head supporting dowel inside the body. I would then have collars on both sides of the metal that would further secure the head.

I could see I'd need tweezers to push the collar flush against the metal. Since I only needed the toy to hold together long enough to get a picture, I didn't bother. If you look carefully at the photo, you can see the walker's head is tilted a little forward. That's not quite how it appears in the illustration. But I'm happy with the results. That head tilt makes this walker look like a man on a mission!


No comments:

Post a Comment