Monday, May 02, 2016

Diabelli Project 108 - Solo Marimba

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This weekI continue with this solo marimba piece. I'll be sitting down soon and looking at all these fragments to see if they fit together -- or at least suggest ways that one can lead to another.  While some of the sketches use four mallet technique, for this sketch I started with the premise that the player would only use two mallets. What it immediately suggested to me was something quick and nimble.

While it is a fast section, I used the upper and lower registers to suggest two parts -- melody and accompaniment.

As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment