Monday, November 09, 2015

Daibelli Project 104 - Marimba Solo

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them. 

The last two flash composition sketches have been for solo marimba (see nos. 102 and 103). When I did the second one, it wasn't intentional -- it just happened to be a piece of music written for the same instrument as the previous sketch.

This time, though, it's deliberate. For the next few weeks when I sit down to dash off something for this project, it will be something for solo marimba. What I'm curious to see is if an overall pattern begins to emerge by revisiting this same instrument over and over. Will the sketches all be part of a greater whole? And will that whole be a long, single work, or a short, multi-movement suite? Or neither. (click on image to enlarge)

This fragment, I think, might work well as part of an up-tempo final movement.But that's my opinion. As with the rest of the sketches in this series, I offer them to any and all to use as you will. Just be sure to share the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment