Monday, November 17, 2014

Diabelli Project 066: Piece for solo B-flat clarinet

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This week I continue my casual tour through the orchestra with a piece for solo B-flat clarinet. Since these flash compositions have a ten-minute time limit, the fewer voices there are, the farther I can get into the piece -- like this one.

The clarinet's a pretty versatile instrument, and it was fun to write for. I took advantage of the differences in tone between the registers. While the low notes can sound dark and rich, the upper register tends to be a little shrill (in a musical way). (click on image to enlarge).


So where does this piece go next? That's up to you, if you're so inclined. As with all the Diabelli Project sketches, this one can be used freely by anyone. Just let me know the results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment