Monday, March 10, 2014

Diabelli Project 032 - Invention in C major

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

The rules for the Diabelli Project's flash compositions are pretty simple. I have about five minutes to write music, and that's it. When the time's up, the pen (yes, pen not pencil) gets put away and the session is over. The goal is to short-circuit my inner critic and just let the music flow. And it's worked pretty well.

I mention the rules because this is the first time I failed to complete the final measure. (click on image to enlarge)



So what happens next? I was tempted when I made a fair copy of the sketch to complete the thought. But then I thought it might be more interesting if it was open-ended. And so it remains. If you're inspired to finish this up, please go ahead. Just let me know of the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment