Monday, October 07, 2013

Diabelli Project 014 - 2-Part Invention

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This week's entry is a little more ambitious than the previous offerings. I was quite surprised when I transcribed it and needed to use two systems. One of the things I enjoy about composing is the serendipity. The opening bar, for example, should begin on count 1 and have 4 eighth notes. Because of a simple error (the extra bar), it starts on count 2 and has 4 sixteenth notes.

The entry of the upper voice gives you an idea of what it should look like. No matter -- I think I like it better that way. And were I to write more, I'd explore the differences between the shortened 2-beat motive and the longer 3-beat version. (click on image to enlarge).

Of course, you can go in a completely different direction. That's up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment