Friday, July 19, 2013

The Diabelli Project - Contrapunctus XVI by J. Lee Graham

The Diabelli Project is about offering my flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli,'s music these sketches aren't great. But perhaps there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

Joseph Lee Graham, a composer currently based in Wichita, Kansas found some potential in one of my postings. A good deal of his music can be found on Soundcloud.

Here's my original sketch (click on images to enlarge):


And here's an excerpt of Graham's three-voice fugue based on the idea. As you can see, he reworked the opening slightly, which is fine. His modification is what makes the counterpoint flow so smoothly.



 Listen to Contrapunctus XVI on Soundcloud

Although it's based on an idea of mine the resulting work, Contrapunctus XVI, is a composition by Joseph Lee Graham and he owns all the rights to it. So for information about performing or recording this music (I can dream, can't I?), please contact Joseph Graham. (In case you were wondering, he did give me permission to an excerpt of the score.)

I am excited that the Project's getting results so soon. And honored that Mr. Graham took the time to further develop my initial idea into a complete work.








No comments:

Post a Comment